Followers

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

An application dock for Windows

This will be my first PC post! Recently I've had a lot of people ask me if there was an easy to set up application dock for Windows. Well... there is! I've been using Stardock Objectdock 2.0 for a long time now, and it gives very easy access to all my games, applications, and folders on my Windows 7 PC. It even supports 64 bit operating systems!


Here's a screenshot of how I set my desktop. Pretty slick, eh?



You can position the dock anywhere on your screen, and even have it replace your standard windows task bar! Best part for us PC gamers is that it uses next to no resources. My task manager reports it only using 8mb of memory.

First thing you'll need to do is download the package - only about 20 MB.

Download Dock

Unzip the folder and run "objectdockplus_200.exe" go through the installation like any program, but at the end, untick the "Run Objectdock" box.

Don't run the program yet!

In the Stardock folder you downloaded, open the "other file" in the folder and click "Patch". Point it to the directory you installed Stardock Objectdock 2.0. With the window still open, hit "Save license" and save it. Exit the program.

You should now be able to run the dock and set it up to how you want it!

I'm currently working on an Xbox 360 JTAG tutorial, so check back soon.

Until next time...

26 comments:

  1. Neat. I like all these -docks. They have those classy finish, they are handy, minimalistic, simple and reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool ill have to install it to my windows 7 partition of my mac haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been put-off by Stardock's amount of setup in the past, but I will give them a shot now. Seriously, thanks for the heads up!

    I just got switched from a "Screw Mac!" guy into a fanboi...now I must have docks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how about the ram memory occupied?
    extremely interested in your next post

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Thedarkside -

    Right now it's using 5.1 MB of my RAM. When I posted this it was around 8 MB.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That desktop background picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always search for a easy way to do that, seriously, and there you go, lol. really thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete
  8. really like the dock and background

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great looking desktop, but one suggestion. Icon themes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hm, I've always pondered the usefulness of docks on my desktop. I mean, I'm the person who kind of likes to just see my desktop wallpaper without any icons.
    I've used ObjectDock in the past, and it's fantastic, but I'm more of a task-bar kind of person (which I guess is also a dock). I suppose I just don't need all of that flashy stuff to make my desktop look nice. :)
    ________________________________
    All the latest tech, all in one place:
    http://www.tech-me.me

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like that desktop
    i still use xp lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Been using objectdock for a while now, couldn't imagine my PC without it now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cool blog man! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i am using 7stack with pins on the default windows 7 taskbar and it looks great also

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this application dock holy cow! +Followed

    ReplyDelete
  16. I use rocketdock, works really well on win 7.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm I'll try this instead of rocket dock

    ReplyDelete
  18. Used to use this back on XP, really liked it. I'm pretty happy with the windows 7 bar though. I just pin my important apps and folders to it, center them so it looks a bit nicer.

    +followed

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found this blog, really like this going to try it out; I used something similar for XP!
    +follow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great will do it right away!
    +follow

    ReplyDelete